Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Ellis’ Observations

While Alexia has been to Cyprus many times over her life to visit family and go vacationing, this trip has been the first time I have been out of the Pacific Northwest. My whole family has done a ton of traveling and I'm the only one who has never really been anywhere, so I was very excited and a little overwhelmed to go.

Cyprus is amazing. The weather is like nothing else I've ever seen. It is so incredibly hot. The days generally get well past 100 degrees F and the nights only dip into the low 80's. For a Seattle boy who wears shorts in the winter and thinks that 70 degrees is hot, this is an interesting experience, but I'm doing a lot better than I thought I was going to. I just have to remember to drink lots and lots of water to stay hydrated and then I'm good.

Driving on the left is an interesting experience, but I'm used to it by now. Unfortunately though, we don't get to drive because Alexia's mom will not let us. This is a very aggravating thing, but whatever. The next time I come back, I'm going to be sure to rent something that can drive off road and go crazy. It seems like there are more dirt roads than there are paved so something like a Subaru would be amazing.

I'm also learning a bit of Greek from listening to the people speaking here and I'm learning how to read the language from the street signs which are in both English and Greek. It's pretty cool. We both can't wait to keep going on our trip and continue with the exploring.

1 comment: